Saturday 9 July 2016

Introducing the camper

Some camper owners give their vehicles a name. We don't. It's just "the camper". And it's not a motor home. This photo was taken in the far north of Scotland in 2009.


Yesterday, I thought I'd check that the spare wheel was OK. Despite having owned the camper for eight years (and never had a flat), I realised that I'd never investigated what was involved in accessing the spare for use. I thought I had but was getting it confused with our previous camper. I'm glad I did. It is underneath the rear of the vehicle, supported by a metal bracket. Going straight to it with the wheel nut wrench, I realised that it could drop suddenly when released so had a look in the handbook. This described the set up and the correct procedure for undoing the two bolts, then using one end of the wheel nut wrench for lowering the bracket carefully to the ground. The tyre pressure was fine. The greatest problem then was getting the wheel back on to the bracket. It was OK getting the wheel off the bracket but, try as I might, I couldn't get it back on. There just wasn't the clearance beneath the vehicle. What they don't tell you in the handbook is that the job is made so much easier by jacking the vehicle up by a couple of inches, which is what I did. So, in the event of a flat tyre, I'll be able to deal with it.

The camper has recently been serviced and MoT'd.



No comments:

Post a Comment