Tuesday 10 July 2018

Fitjavatnet - 10 July 2018

Geoff
Leaving the excellent Bratland Camping after two nights there, we drove to Flesland, the airport serving Bergen. I dropped Amanda off for her flight to Birmingham via Amsterdam and went off to do my own thing.

My plan for today was to park the camper and take off with my backpack for a night camping. Using the ut.no website, I had identified a shortish walk with what looked in a photo to be a nice pitch for the night.

On the E16 east of Bergen, I passed through several tunnels and then overshot my turn off so had to go a mile before I was able to turn around. The turn was a narrow single track road which snaked uphill for about a mile with numerous hairpin bends. There were occasional houses and cabins along the way. I'm glad I didn't meet anything coming down. 

When the tarmac ended, I turned and parked the camper out of the way, had lunch and got my pack sorted. My route went uphill on an unmade vehicle track for a few hundred yards before entering a forest on a rising path on a bend. The narrow path was reasonably clear through the trees as it wound its way up out of the forest on to leveller ground with just sparse stunted trees. The path became quite indistinct but I knew more or less the direction to go. Had there been more rain recently it might have been a bit boggy underfoot. 

After about a mile, the path descended a bit and I went in the wrong direction for a short stretch and had to retrace my steps and then found a descending path which brought me to where I am at the head of a tree lined lake with a couple of fishermen's huts. It is so tranquil with just the occasional birdsong. There are snow capped mountains beyond. Nearby, I found a wooden privy hidden amongst the trees. 

My only disturbance has been a runner who passed in front of my tent and around the lake before disappearing from view. 



No comments:

Post a Comment